Thursday, May 20, 2010

Believe!


Read the story of Lazarus' death and resurrection again this morning (John 11). Jesus' response to the weeping of Mary and the mourners gathered there is curious. The Bible records that "...a deep anger welled up within him, and he was deeply troubled" (v. 33), "Then Jesus wept" (v. 35), and then in verse 38 - "Jesus was still angry as he arrived at the tomb" (New Living Translation).

Perhaps this was not just in response to their histrionics. (By comparison, we are MUCH more reserved in our modern American grief than in the Middle East.) I believe that Jesus is grieved, and angered, by the their unbelief. He already knows the outcome of this event. He wants them to BELIEVE.

Jesus reveals Himself, "I am the resurrection and the life" (v. 25) and then asks Martha, "Do you believe this?" (v. 25). Martha affirmed - "I have always believed you are the Messiah" (v. 27), but her belief appears to be mere mental assent, not true faith in who Christ is AND in what He can do. It then appears that Mary's grief has undermined her faith as well (v. 32).

Jesus responded to Martha's sound reasoning for not opening the tomb, “Didn’t I tell you that you would see God’s glory if you believe? ...Father, thank you for hearing me. You always hear me, but I said it out loud for the sake of all these people standing here, so that they will believe you sent me” (vv. 40-42).

How often have the emotions of my circumstances prevented me from believing God's promises? I know that God does not want us to be emotionless faith automatons. After all, He created our emotional capabilities and Jesus shows emotion in this passage! I do believe that God wants me to move past my fear, grief, doubts, anger, anxiety and worry, and to trust in Him.

What I believe can supersede what I feel to activate my faith in God! This is not an easy activation, but like the father whose desperately wanted his son healed, we can pray, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" (Mark 9:24).

Labels:


Comments:
Last night I struggled with the idea of attending your bible study. I even called you knowing full well that there was one for adults. I was waiting for someone to come to my house to pick up an envelope and if I missed them it would cause me problems today. The Holy Spirit would not allow my excuses and nudged me. I came back home feeling blesssed and in about two minutes the messenger came to pick up the envelope. All I had to do was be obedient and stop all the worrying. Praise God and Trust Him.
Thank you for the class I really enjoyed it.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]