Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Faithful to Complete His Work

"And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns." - Philippians 1:6, NLT

How many unfinished projects do you have at home? At work?  Ok, sorry. I didn't mean to get too personal there.  But by your reaction, I'd say you've got more than a few.  Some of the projects just lack a little bit of caulk.  Or maybe just one more coat of paint.  Perhaps things have fallen into such disrepair that you've got to start all over again.  Now, that is disheartening. And yes, I'm with you on this one.  When I first asked the question, I thought I was on some moral high ground, but a walk through the house or a look at my desk (let's not go through the drawers!) quickly reveals my procrastination, my busyness, or my ADD (Gina wanted to add that!).  

It's worth considering why we don't finish what we start.  Busyness has to be at the top of the list.  But it's also underestimating the scope of the project or it could be overestimating my ability to do the work required.  Sometimes its a financial issue - we just didn't count the cost.  At other times, it is just plain laziness.  It can even be my drive for perfection (let's not go there).  Maybe we justify and reason our way to believing that what we've done is adequate and that piece of trim or the extra coat of paint really isn't needed.  "It looks fiiiine, Gina...really!"

I know, I've meddled enough.  My point?  Other than heaping on an extra load of guilt and condemnation?  Aren't you glad that God not only continues His work within us, but He is faithful to complete it.  Knowing that He is that committed to my development and growth, encourages me!  I often tell my congregation that God will not abandon the work of His hands.  And YOU are the work of His hands!  His work in our lives won't be complete until Jesus comes back.  In the meantime, we can count on Him to keep up His good work in us.  And yes, some of us need more work than others!  (I'm a full-time project for God - just ask my wife!)

One more thing - you may discover, like one author, that God has grander plans than you could ever have imagined. Listen to his testimony:  “When I invited Jesus into my life, I thought he was going to put up some wallpaper and hang a few pictures.  But he started knocking out walls and adding on rooms.  I said, ‘I was expecting a nice cottage.’ But he said, ‘I’m making a palace in which to live.’ “ 

So, be encouraged today.  You might believe that God has given up on you, but He is fully committed to seeing it through!  Continue to submit your life to His work. Partner with God in His work and follow His blueprint.  God's not finished with you yet!

(And about that honey-do list, Gina...  I'm on it!  Right after I finish this popcorn and watch the game!)

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]