Thursday, January 27, 2011

Responding to the Call (or "You are God's Plan A and there's No Plan B")

Ok, don't get too used to this, but I'm on a blogging roll and I wanted to get these thoughts down somewhere. (Yes, I might just be over-caffeinated this morning, but let's not go there.) So gentle reader, read on.

Moses' story captures my imagination and resonates with me in many ways.  I was reading Exodus 4 when several thoughts occurred to me....

Over the centuries, I wonder how many believers have prayed Moses' prayer: “Lord, please! Send anyone else” (Ex 4:13). You won't find many books written about this prayer (see Jabez, the Psalms & the Lord's Prayer). Excuse follows excuse, but God persists. Aren't you glad for that?!!? God doesn't give up so easily on us (at least not like we give up on Him) and He doesn't answer Moses' prayer (at least not like Moses wanted Him to).

If you've been offering Him excuses, it's time to offer Him your life. Listen to the prophet Isaiah's response to God's query: Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!” (Isaiah 6:8) If God has come calling, why don't you pray that prayer right now?  Let's see what God can do with one life surrendered to His will. (Read the rest of Moses' story as a living example.) God persists because His plan is best - for us and for those who will follow us!

Lagniappe: When Moses approaches the burning bush, he carries a common shepherd's staff (Ex. 4:2, 4). When he returns to Egypt, he carries "the staff of God" (4:20). Interesting distinction, don't you think?  I wonder if it has application in our lives?

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]