Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Are You Ready for the Final Exam?

OK. It may seem like overkill on this subject, but when you're preparing to preach on a difficult subject, a lot of things end up on the cutting room floor.  By the way, one of the great challenges of modern preaching is to get great Truths to fit inside of that barely tolerable 45-minute window I call a sermon.  I say "modern" preaching because there was a time (not that long ago) that preachers averaged over an hour to communicate God's Word. Anything less was quaintly termed "sermonettes."  (If you're used to the 20-30 minute message, I'm probably not your preacher of choice.  And yes, I know all about series and I usually preach within them. AND I know that the mind can only retain what the seat can endure - which explains why we have comfy padded seats in our sanctuary.)  Anyways, back to my reason for writing this blog...


I've been thinking a lot about what the Bible says comes next for us after death, and the Judgment Day is a major event on God's itinerary for us. This had me thinking about when I was in college. Every professor gave us a syllabus for his or her course. The syllabus gave us an outline and summary of the course.  It told us what the professor expected of us as students – attendance, term paper requirements, and the dates of mid-term and final exams.

God has given us a syllabus.  It is called the Bible.  In it, we discover God’s plan, all that He wants to teach us, and what is expected of us – attendance requirements, the practicum (where we apply what we’ve learned), and the certainty of pop quizzes, tests, and a very final exam. 

In college, I was a procrastinator.  I put off thinking about tests or term papers until I absolutely had to. (Which might explain my less than stellar grades.)  Look, being all preoccupied with tests would have spoiled all the fun I was having in college!  I was away from home. I was the captain of my ship and I couldn’t be bothered by petty professors who tried to make my life miserable with more lame school work!  But no matter how much I attempted to put it off, or ignore it, those exams still came with an alarming sense of urgency and...well, panic.

I believe that many Christians would rather not think about the final exam when we stand before God.  That just cramps our style, doesn’t it?  It makes us uncomfortable because any serious consideration of our personal judgment would probably make us pause and evaluate our lives.  We might have to take life more seriously and be more conscious of wasting our time on things that really don’t matter in light of eternity.  But here's what the syllabus says: 
10...For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God.     
11 For it is written, “As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to Me, And every tongue shall give praise to God.” 
12 So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God.   
(Romans 14:10b-12, NASB) 

It is not wise to ignore the inevitable or to put off facing the facts. (Apply this to almost any other area of your life and isn't that an absolute understatement?!!?)  In this case, we will all be judged – both believer and unbeliever alike.  The Bible describes two separate judgments and according to scripture, they are a serious certainty. 
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil.  (2 Corinthians 5:10, ESV)

But the degree to which we are upset by this topic is based on how ready we are for the final exam.  Think about it: When you waited till the last minute to get ready for your history test, you were in full-blown panic mode.  But when you had studied, and prepared well in advance, there was some anxiety perhaps, but there was also a confidence that you had prepared – you had done your part to get ready.

What’s amazing to me, as a pastor, is how many people (both believers and nonbelievers) want me to talk about end-time events, but don’t want to hear about the Judgment.  Our Final Exam IS a pretty significant end-time event.  And we had better be ready for it.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]