Saturday, April 06, 2013

Backyard Spring Symphony



This afternoon, I was sitting outside on our patio for the first time this year.  Gina has been out of town at a Women’s Conference and I was enjoying wonderful spring weather, take-out Chinese, a book and abundant sunshine. 


At one point, I closed my eyes and reveled in the moment and listened....  In a matter of moments, I heard a siren, several different birds calling out, a train’s lonesome horn, the wind through the trees with some old fall leaves clattering through our carport.  As I listened more intently, I heard a plane overhead, our neighbor’s wind chime, a motorcycle’s throaty roar, the voices of children from a neighborhood away calling out, and a couple of dogs in the distance barking.  This was the background music of my peaceful moment. 


At first, I was tempted to call it noise, but these sounds were not obnoxiously vying for my attention and they did not tyrannize the moment. What I was hearing did not disrupt the wonderful feel of the sun after what has seemed a long winter’s grip.  The truth was that I had not really heard them at all until I paused to listen.  In reality, all of these "instruments" were forming a soundtrack to my spring moment.


I know that on some days my ADD would not allow me this kind of peaceful meditation, but today, the song was serenity and the symphony of different instruments were somehow all in the same key.  I thanked the Lord, enjoyed the moment and just hummed along to the beautiful spring-time tune in my backyard.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]